Same Day ACH
Beginning September 15, 2017, you will start to see electronic payments or ACH debits* post to your account the same day they are authorized! This is the next phase in an initiative to move funds faster between accounts within the United States.
On September 23, 2016, the National Automated Clearing House Association (NACHA), the organization which manages Automated Clearing House (ACH) payments, implemented a new rule allowing eligible ACH transactions to be processed and posted the same day they are authorized. In our fast paced world of new technology, Same Day ACH creates a number of benefits for you as a customer.
What do Same Day ACH Payments offer me?
- Faster Business to consumer payments – Same day payroll**, insurance payouts, emergency funds, or refunds.
- Business to business payments – Improved settlement of payments between businesses for invoice processing and release of goods.
- Consumer to business bill payments – Customers can make payments “due today” for their mortgage, car, utility, credit card, or other payments if offered by the Payee or business. This can assist with accelerated crediting of late payments.
- Person to person payments – Sending emergency funds to a family member, payments to the babysitter, or for reimbursement of a shared expense can now be processed and posted even quicker to the person’s account.
- Account to account transfers – Provides for faster movement of funds between accounts.
What qualifies for Same Day ACH processing?
- Domestic debit and credit transactions of $25,000 or less with an effective date the same day as the authorized date
- Return items or Notification of Change (NOC)
- Prenotification entries or Prenotes for future debit and credit transactions
- Zero Dollar Transactions
What does this mean for me as a customer?
It is extremely important to ensure there are enough funds in your account to cover any transactions at the time you are authorizing them. When you authorize a payment to pull from your account via ACH payment, if sufficient funds are not available in your account, the same day posting could cause the account to be overdrawn.
Example: It is September 30, 2017 and your car payment is due on October 1, 2017. You authorize the financial institution to make your $400 loan payment on September 30, 2017 before the Same Day ACH cutoff time. If there is not $400 in your account and your payment qualifies for same day ACH processing, your account would then be overdrawn.
Frequently Asked Questions
Got questions? We've got answers.
Same Day ACH refers to same day processing of credit and debits through the Automated Clearing House( ACH ), allowing ACH transactions to post to an account the same day they are authorized.
- Phase 1 – September 23, 2016 – Allowed for credit transactions to post the same day they are authorized.
- Phase 2 – September 15, 2017 – Allows for debit transactions to post the day they are authorized.
Previously, there was a day or two delay from the time a payment was authorized to when it posted to your account. With Same Day ACH, debit transactions may post to your account the same day they are authorized.
Examples of ACH debits that may be processed same day include:
- A check written to a merchant or store who converts it into an ACH item.This happens when you write a check to a merchant or store who processes the check and either at the point of sale or during their back end process, converts the check to an ACH payment.
- A payment made to a business using your account, via their online or telephone payment portals, and the current day’s date is selected as the payment date.
No. Debit card transactions will still be processed and posted as they are today.
Check payments are only affected if the payee converts the check into an ACH transaction and opts to process it as a Same Day ACH transaction.
Same Day ACH allows consumers or businesses to receive deposits and or debits on the same day from participating businesses.
It is important to ensure there are funds available in your account for all payments you have authorized. Using tools like Chemical Bank ePersonal Banking and Business eBanking can help with account management and monitoring of activity.
At this time, Chemical Bank is not offering Same Day ACH Origination.
- Customer Care team for Personal Banking assistance at 800.867.9757
- Business Client Services team for Business Banking assistance at 855.336.9460
Additional Tools and Resources:
** Please note: At this time, Chemical Bank does not offer same day payroll initiation.